January 5, 2011

Bring On 2011!!!

Usually after Christmas I feel that "sad that it's over" feeling, and dread New Years, sad the year is over. This is the first year ever that I can remember not feeling that way. I was actually looking forward to Christmas to be over and done with, so we can get on to this next year! I don't know why I feel different this year...it could be because I have a lot of goals that I am motivated to accomplish, and it feels like a new start. I don't usually write down my resolutions for the year, but I thought this year I would here, that way I can see them in writing and read them when I need a reminder, and maybe I'll feel more accountable to actually do them if I know I have witnesses! So here they are:

Get back to the temple.
We haven't been in forever and have no excuse, we have to just do it!

Date my husband.
We have always been terrible at leaving our kids to go on dates, and I think it's only been recently that we've realized how bad we need that time without the kids. So, to start things off right this year, we already have 2 dates set this month, and also planned a little Valentine's Day week getaway to Las Vegas next month.

Spend better quality time with the kids.
I feel like I'm with them all the time, but not really with them. I always have something I'm doing or that's on my mind, and I need to take more time for them and do quality things together and put other things aside more.

Be more patient.
I need to be better at letting things go that aren't as important as I might make them out to be, not getting so stressed about things, or feeling like everything has to be rushed.

Be myself.
I worry too much about what others think of me, and I over-analyze everything! It seriously makes me lose sleep at night, going over in my head every conversation I have with people, wondering if I sounded dumb, did I say something that could have offended someone, etc. It's not like stressing about it is going to undo anything stupid I did anyway, so it's not worth losing sleep over anymore. And being myself means sometimes letting my dorkiness shine through anyway, so I just need to relax and be who I am.

Get organized.
I tend to hold onto things, not quite a hoarder, but I get attached and sentimental. That makes it really hard to get organized, because we have too much to organize. I plan on getting rid of tons of stuff this year to simplify and organize our home!

Get in shape and be healthy.
Of course, what New Years resolution list would be complete without this one?! Last year I did really well at consistently working out for a couple of months before our Costa Rica trip, but when we got home I felt like I could splurge on food and relax on the exercise. I am really feeling that now, it caught up to me for sure. I want to start working out regularly, and not ever feel like I can relax on it, because it's what will make and keep me healthy and strong.

I'm sure there are more I will think of, but these are the main important ones. I can already tell that writing them on here makes them more real. I am so motivated and determined to keep at these goals and have an amazing, healthy, happy year!

To bring in the new year, we had a pretty low-key celebration. Ashton and I weren't feeling great, so we didn't plan anything big, but we made it to see a movie, then we picked up a bunch of fun food and realized we got a lot more than we could eat! So we then invited Cameron and Aubrey over to celebrate with us! We celebrated New York's New Years with the kids, then after they went to bed we had fun hanging out and talking to Cameron and Aubrey and brought in our own New Year!
Here are the kids celebrating!
Cheers!
Then we celebrated the New Year again with our amazing neighbors and friends at Santa Monica Pizza last night! (Pics and night out courtesy of Jocelyn!)
I wish you all the very BEST in this new year!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm....My list sounds just like yours.
    We will have to help eachother KEEP them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals! I can help you with the temple one and the organizing one!!!

    ReplyDelete